12.18.2011

Christmas Tree Debate...Settled!

Every year my husband and I go to one of the local Christmas tree farms and get a real tree for our house. I was really wondering this year whether this was a good choice for us as a household that tries to live sustainably when possible. I knew that fake trees carry a lot of chemicals that just add to all of those already present in your home, but I wasn't completely sure if cutting down a tree every year was a good idea.

I found this great article at the National Geographic website that talks about how real trees are the more environmental choice.  Yes!  We made the right decision.  Apparently, fake trees do contribute substantially more to greenhouse gas emissions, landfill space, harmful toxins in living spaces, and water and energy usage. You have to take into account the way the fake trees are processed in factories (usually across the globe) as well as how they're disposed of after use.  Real trees can be recycled and used for a variety of things that may even improve quality of life.  I especially like the example given in the article of using the mulch in local parks and flower beds.

Of course, if you really want to go all out, you can get a live tree that can be replanted and used again the next year.  We tried that last year, but since I have quite the black thumb, I couldn't even keep the tree alive for a few months.  From now on, I'll be comfortable with my decision to continue buying a real tree every year.  Thank you, National Geographic, for approving of my decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment