7.04.2011

Mexican: The American Comfort Food

Yes, we have our burgers and hot dogs that rule the grills of every American household.  Those are, of course, the foods of choice for a classic American holiday like the 4th of July.  Well, what about Mexican food?  I've realized that Indian cuisine to the Brits is like Mexican to Americans.  There is such a strong Mexican influence on our culture, just as the Indian culture has combined with the British in many ways.  

It got me thinking about how Mexican food really has developed into comfort food for many Americans.  We've even put our own spin on it with Tex Mex.  Now, having lived on the Texas-Mexican border for several years, I did come to love many classic Mexican dishes.  However, I am still very fond of dairy products, which is something that Tex Mex has over the traditional Mexican foods, for me anyway.  So, this is one staple Tex Mex dinner in my house: the quesadilla.  It comes with three cheeses, veggies, chicken, no chicken, salsa on the side, sour cream, or a combination of those.  We love it and can't get enough of it!  So, here's to the Tex Mex classic that will always be welcome at my dinner table because I'm an American and I love Mexican food, any way I can get it!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment