7.06.2011

Vision Boarding

Goal setting is something I've done all my life, and it's kept me focused on where I'm headed.  For some reason planning and organizing my life just makes sense to me.  I can't help but need some kind of direction.  So, I started using vision boards a few years ago, after the standard youth milestones of graduations and first jobs had past.  I knew I didn't want to fall into a rut with the same routine day in and day out.  I wanted to take opportunities that came to keep growing and learning.  To do that, I first needed to know what opportunities I was interested in pursuing.

I had already been collecting inspiring design images when I was in architecture school.  These helped me to find my own design style and expand my own ideas into meaningful designs.  Then, I moved into collecting magazine clippings of all the things I wanted in my life.  Every time I sat down with a magazine, I would (and still do) look for anything that speaks to me.  If I see something that I've been wanting or needing in my life, I cut it out and save it.  I used to have a large poster board that I mounted my clippings to, but I found that to be too bulky with all the moving I was doing.  So, I ended up making a little folder with pages that I keep adding.  This has been a much better solution for me and allows me to just pull it out whenever I need to regain focus.  I have to say this has helped me tremendously in meeting my goals and living a more balanced life.  I would recommend it for everyone.







2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I find myself so busy throughout the day, that I forget to slow down and be inspired. I'm a visual person as well, and the times I have done this have been so meaningful. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to take time and smell the roses--or check your vision board! I just think inspiration is so important in your life in order to live fully. Thanks, Allison : )

    ReplyDelete